Monday, December 03, 2012

Week 2 Reflections (Action Research)

It seems that no matter how much you think you know about a subject, there is always more to learn. After week 1, I was beginning to wonder why this class is five weeks long! Now I see that action research really is a different animal than your normal academic research.

Doing action research is like being a Doctor where as doing academic research is like being a mechanic. While I research in my school it has to continue running. I can not shut down the engine, make my repairs, and return the car to its owner. I have ownership of everything I research and the education process cannot stop.

I also discovered that action research is not just about other people, but it is also about researching my own performance and finding ways to improve. I read that in week 1, but to be honest it did not really set in until this week. When I was reading the text for this week, I was struck by the section where it talked about reviewing your own professional performance. The research questions in that section were very poignant  It made the point to me that so much of education is all about. Namely, this:

The best teachers are lifelong learners.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Technology is a key part of all curriculum. I am curious to see what types of technology teachers are using and what training are needed to move them forward.